background

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Crayon Monogram & Tutorial

Earlier this week I started searching for gift ideas for my daughter's teachers. I wanted something handmade and fairly easy. I found this idea online and instantly knew I had to try it! Here's my version and how I did it.

Not only is it adorable, but it's CRAYOLA CRAYONS! There is just something about a brand new crayola crayon that sparks creativity in me! Ohh... that gives me a fabulous decorating idea - we'll revisit that idea later :-)

After a little trial and error - this project works best with letters that have STRAIGHT edges. Letters like C, O, and Q are slightly more difficult, but I am working on some ideas to make those look better.

 
MATERIAL COST: under $6
I ran to Wal-mart and picked up a 8x10 black frame for $3 and 2 packs of crayons for $1.17. I actually already have boxes of crayons since I stock up at the beginning on the school year when they are on sale for 25 cents. However, this way I know an estimate cost if I don't have a small crayola factory in my house.

Materials:
2 boxes of 24 count CRAYOLA crayons per letter
1 frame (I used 8x10)
hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
exacto knife (if you don't have one, just use a sharp kitchen knife)
computer/printer/software - if you choose to create the design on the computer and print it like I did. You can always just draw your letter how you want on paper instead of printing.

Instructions:

1. Design your letter and any words you want to include.
2. Print (if using a computer) onto paper. I used white CARDSTOCK instead of plain paper. The paper is a little thicker and sturdier than regular paper. If you don't have cardstock, regular paper will be just fine.

3. Open the frame and remove the glass and any matting that may be included. You only need the frame and the back.

4. Insert YOUR letter and close the frame up. It's best to go ahead and put your LETTER in the frame before starting, this way you know exactly how it's going to look and you can line everything up how you want to. You might have to trim the edgesto make it fit. Since I printed on 8.5 x 11 paper, I had to trim a bit.

5. Lay out the crayons in the order you want them to be on the picture. Remember BOYGBIV? (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet)


6. Start at the TOP!! Lay out the first crayon you want to use and score it (or mark it gently) where you want to cut. Then take the crayon onto your cutting mat and cut it.


I found a tip online that said if you are cutting a straight line, just score it and the crayon breaks easily. This was very helpful!




When you cut at an ANGLE, do so slowly and don't stress over the small bits and pieces that are going to break off every now and then. If the wrapper comes off the crayon, just dab a little glue stick it back on.

Tip: Keep in mind the crayon wrapper is also a design element and use it to your advantage!


7. Continue adding crayons in the order they are layed out in. This is why it was helpful to lay out both boxes from the start, it's easy to get all those left over bits and pieces mixed up.

8. Viola! You're all done! Super CUTE and personalized! If you would like your little one to help, you can probably do this project with Elmer's Glue, it would just take longer to dry.


Credits: I found this project on several sites, including here and here as well as on Pinterest. In no way do I mean to step on anyone's toes here. The only credit I claim is the fun I had making this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment